Sunday, January 23, 2011

Exploring, defining and creating meaningful approaches to literacy learning

In my classroom literature is included in a few ways. Every week students get new spelling words to practice over the week. When they get them on Monday they sit and write each work 5 times at their desks. They take the words home and practice them for the spelling test on Friday. On the spelling test they have to spell the words correctly and use the correct upper and lower case letters. The spelling words correlate with their readings for the week. Their readings are from a text book and are themed (ex: outer space). Students always have a reading book in their desk. They are instructed to pull it out and read it almost every time they are done with an assignment. There is also something called AR reading books. Students read these books and then take a quiz on the computers to check for comprehension. Lastly, my CT reads them a story from around the world every week. They look at their large globe and find where the story is from in relation to where we live and then read the story and reflect on it after (text to text, text to self and text to world).
In addition to having things such as what is listed above, I would like to incorporate technology into my classroom. Just like the video we watched in class, technology is a large and growing part of literature. Getting children involved in literacy using technology I think will be a key way for success. Students can read and write online and do many other things to expand their knowledge (blogging, book reviews, etc.). I would also like to incorporate multiple genres of literature including everyday items such as food labels, receipts, signs, etc. I would also like to incorporate class book readings into my classroom. We would read as a class together so students could follow along, I could read and students could read out loud.

2 comments:

  1. In my classroom, literature is also included in a few ways but it is different from your classroom Jennifer. I am placed in Chinese immersion classroom and my CT does not really make kindergarteners to memorize Chinese characters. Therefore, I have saw them taking any Chinese character tests. However, even though students cannot write Chiense characters off the top of their head but they can certain recognize some words because they have been repeated so many times. My CT indroduces many Chinese nursery rhymes or children's songs to students to help them learn Chiense. One interesting thing in the classroom is that I never saw my students read books in the classroom last semester. I hope they get to read some books in English classroom.
    In the classroom, there is a smart board which my CT uses a lot for her lessons. There is a website called "Better Chiense" which is primarily for younger students who are learning Chinese. I think it is a good way to learn Chinese using this website because this website has many resources to study Chinese such as stories, games etc. And I think it is awesome that they have a smart board in their classroom because as a class they can laern together better compare to each student looking at their own text book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your classroom sounds similar to mine. My students also get new spelling words every week. Have you had the opportunity to see your students take the spelling tests? Fortunately for me, I have seen my students take many spelling tests. The part I like most is when my CT says a word aloud and then uses the word in one or two sentences as well. She tends to use sentences that apply directly to the students or the classroom. For example, they once had the spelling word, ‘boots’. My CT said the word in a sentence that related directly to a student. She said “Kayla is wearing new boots today. Her boots will keep her very warm in the snow.” Not only are they learning how to spell words but they are also learning their meaning and personally identifying with the meanings as well.
    My CT also reads a story to her class every week. So far, I have only seen her read fictional and some informational texts. After reading the Leland article, I am curious to see if my CT will read any critical literacy to her students. I would like to see how the students would respond to such sensitive topics and world issues and observe what kind of discussion would take place. The article was very enlightening for me and I look forward to using critical literacy in my classroom. I noticed you listed some different types of genres that you would like to incorporate in your own classroom. Would you also be willing to use critical literacy as part of your literature collection?
    Just like you Jennifer, I am also looking forward to using technology in my classroom. My CT does a pretty good job of incorporating it into her instruction such as using computer software that teaches phonics, websites that focuses on literacy, using the smart board to help them learn cursive writing, listen to audio books, etc. Just as we discussed in class, we live in a digital world and our students are 21st century learners. It only seems normal to include technology in our every day instruction.

    ReplyDelete