Monday, March 21, 2011

New Literacy Reflection

My conceptual idea of literacy has changed a lot throughout this course. Initially I remember thinking about literacy as reading, writing, and the processes that go along with learning how to read and write. While learning about visual literacy in particular: first of all I didn't realize what visual literacy even was, second I had no idea how important it is for keeping up with and competing in the real world.

Now that I have learned about visual literacy and used a new technology (prezi) I understand how important visual literacy is. Visual graphics, how we read things that do not have words, and our use of technology (video, audio, images, etc) is very important. Visual literacy is a rapidly growing field and we do not want our students to be left behind. Providing effective literacy instruction means providing students with the tools they need for success. That means we need to teach them how to read and write, but that is just the beginning. Students need to be well rounded in literacy meaning they should learn about all of the "new literacy's" we covered during this project.

My specific technology (prezi) could be used in the classroom. You as the teacher could use it to make interesting, interactive presentation. Also (if your students are old enough) students could use prezi to make their own presentations (book report, group project, etc.). Visual literacy is also important to think about in your lessons because we see so many signs, images, videos, etc. every day, it is a growing area of literacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment