Monday, April 18, 2011

Letter to Parent

Dear Parent or Guardian,

Hello, my name is Mrs. Moreno and I will be teaching literacy to our third grade classroom until the end of May. Throughout the year, I have observed your child’s progress in his writing abilities such as his ability to organize ideas, write complete sentences and correct use of punctuation. However, he has shown a struggle with using a wider range of vocabulary in his writing pieces. As he is repetitive with his words, he is failing to make his writing interesting and convey meaning in the best possible way. Although this issue is indeed hindering the creativity of his writing, I have strong beliefs in your child’s ability to get back on the path to successful writing. I feel that with a little bit of adjustment in instruction, your child will overcome this issue. To accomplish this, I will reinforce our word walls that are posted in our classroom and print him a laminated copy to stay at his desk. I will encourage that he refer to this list of words during his writing to help him see and use a range of different words. Furthermore, I will devote additional time to your child during the revision stages and make sure he is adding more interesting words into his writing pieces. Support at home can also influence success in this area by using a wide range of vocabulary with your child at home on a regular basis. Repeated exposure inside and outside of school will have a tremendous impact on a child’s vocabulary. They will not only hear new words, but also identify the meanings of them and help them to apply them in their everyday speech, reading and writing.

Thank you for your time and support,
Mrs. Moreno

If you have any questions in regards to this issue, please contact me anytime.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you made sure to talk about the child's strengths before the issues. I am currently doing parent conferences for my HDFS 424 child development lab class and talking about all the positives and strengths of a child before the things that need to be worked on makes for a very successful conference as well as letter home in this case. I also like how you explained how you plan on helping their child and how they can help him. This is a really nice letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like that you talked about the child's strengths first before you talk about what he is struggling with. And in the letter, you are showing that you are really willing to help the child and have some ideas how you will help the child. This makes the parents feel more relieved rather than you just told them that their child needs help. Also, it was a good idea to mentioned that extra help at home is also beneficial because some parents believe all the learning only occurs at the school.

    ReplyDelete