I did my mini lessons with Student B, Student H and Student X. All of them were not my focus students but I know that they are average students in the class. Before I choose which areas I should do for my mini lessons, I asked my CT if she has any preferences for me to work on certain topic with her students. She thinks that work on fluency would be beneficial to students because students need to practice speaking/reading their Chinese more but they do not get to practice as much as they needed. I have observed their Chinese lessons and I know what kind of materials they use to learn Chinese. When it is time for their Chinese lessons, students are mostly watching video clips from the website, reading words, and listening to each chapter on the better Chinese website. Thus, students do not have many opportunities to speak or read aloud Chinese. There are mini chapter books in the classroom which are also available on the website called “better Chinese”. So my CT suggested me to grab one of the chapters that they learned before so that students can focus on prosody and speed rate instead of trying to read new Chinese words. Also, my CT gave me some strategies that I can use on my mini lesson. To practice their fluency, I could do echo reading with the group first and then they can do buddy reading so students get to practice reading several times.
In Tompkins book chapter 6, she describes the components of fluency. I knew that accuracy and speed was the components of the fluency but I was aware of prosody. On page 208, it explains what prosody means and I think that my students are really missing prosody so I decided to include prosody in my mini lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment