Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tier 1, Tier2, and Tier 3 Words: "The Breadwinner"

The book I am reading for our book club is "The Breadwinner," this is where I will take my words from.
Tier 1: Basic words: Words that are used commonly and don't usually need an explanation.
Some examples of tier 1 words in "The Breadwinner" include: father, outside, sitting.
Tier 2: Academic words: used more frequently in writing than oral language, these words allow you to describe/talk about things more accurately.
Some examples: slump, recognize, and wonderful.
Tier 3: Specialized words: content specific and abstract.
Some examples: Taliban, militia, and chador.

2 comments:

  1. The book I am reading for our book club is "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes".

    Tier 1: hospital, parents, nurse

    Tier 2: gently, gaily, sternly

    Tier 3: Leukemia, kimono, Hiroshima

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also reading the book, The Breadwinner.

    Tier 1: bread, street, mother, wall, books, dinner, feet

    Tier 2: diapers, whispering, photographs, propelled, miserable

    Tier 3: toshak, soldier, shalwar kameez, Afghanistan, Afghans, British, Soviets

    ReplyDelete